Las Vegas Real Estate Review
  • News
  • Housing
  • Loan Resources
  • Mortgage Resources
Housing

Appeals court halts ruling allowing thousands of college players extra year of eligibility

by Eddie Pells The Associated Press August 21, 2026
by Eddie Pells The Associated Press August 21, 2026
image

DENVER — A federal appeals court on Friday temporarily halted a court order that would have granted thousands of athletes who left college after last season an extra year of eligibility.

The lawsuit was filed by players who graduated high school in 2022, whose college eligibility ended last season and who were not included in the NCAA’s controversial new rule that grants most players five years of eligibility, beginning next season.

After winning a ruling in district court last month, many of those players were trying to figure out how to return to their former schools to play another year. Football season opens over the next two weeks.

This 2-1 ruling from a panel of the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver puts that on hold until the appeal can be heard in total. It could tamp down the chaos from a series of rulings in courts around the country that had cleared the way for players to come back.

A big portion of the case rests on the idea that some athletes were trying to regain spots on rosters that had already been locked in. The plaintiffs argued it was a matter of fairness: They shouldn’t be restricted from a fifth year — and the educational and NIL compensation opportunities that go along with it — that a player one year younger was entitled to.

But, the NCAA countered in its legal filing, “fairness is in the eye of the beholder.”

“Countless student-athletes already on campuses, and schools who built their rosters in reliance on the rules the NCAA’s membership wrote and agreed to follow, do not believe it is fair for thousands of formerly-ineligible athletes to return to competition at the start of the 2026-27 season,” it said.

Among those planning returns were defensive linemen Kellan Wyatt and Stephan Daley, both members of the national champion Indiana roster from last season.

The ruling is not a guarantee to end the confusion across college sports. The NCAA is on the losing end of a number of lawsuits filed in other state and federal courts over essentially the same issue, and it’s hard to tell how this case will impact those.

Making headlines this week was the return of former Ole Miss starters Dae’Quan Wright, Zxavian Harris and Wydett Williams, who won rulings from a state court in Louisiana giving them another season of eligibility even though they’d signed with NFL teams this summer.

Basketball teams have longer to figure this out — no team wants a player on the roster who might later be declared ineligibile. Gonzaga, for one, recently added Dayton’s Javon Bennett and Florida State’s Chauncey Wiggins, each of whom won eligibility lawsuits in different courts.

“Some of us coaches told the NCAA over and over again, if they waited longer to announce this, they probably wouldn’t have this issue,” Zags coach Mark Few said in a recent interview. “So I don’t know why anybody would not be open to it. Maybe you don’t need it, but if you do … these are good guys.”

0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
Eddie Pells The Associated Press

previous post
Teti named administrator of Nevada Department of Business and Industry’s Division of Industrial Relations
next post
Feds finalize long-awaited Colorado River plan with reservoirs on life support

You may also like

Raiders’ Kubiak: Mendoza will improve through reps

August 21, 2026

NYC woman who went missing in Las Vegas found dead, family says

August 21, 2026

Tesla, Waymo and Aviari cleared to deploy 7,000 Las Vegas robotaxis

August 21, 2026

Feds finalize long-awaited Colorado River plan with reservoirs on life support

August 21, 2026

Teti named administrator of Nevada Department of Business and Industry’s Division of Industrial Relations

August 21, 2026

Delayed start, fantastic finish: Paseo Verde rallies twice, walks off in Little League World...

August 21, 2026

Police: Man in creepy doll mask who has terrified Philly has ties to Las...

August 21, 2026

5 injured, 1 taken by helicopter, after hit-and-run involving CCFD vehicles near Jean

August 21, 2026

Arrest made in deadly Las Vegas stabbing

August 21, 2026

The 3 best types of exercise for brain health

August 21, 2026

Leave a Comment Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Mortgage Payments

Recent Posts

  • Raiders’ Kubiak: Mendoza will improve through reps
  • NYC woman who went missing in Las Vegas found dead, family says
  • Tesla, Waymo and Aviari cleared to deploy 7,000 Las Vegas robotaxis
  • Feds finalize long-awaited Colorado River plan with reservoirs on life support
  • Appeals court halts ruling allowing thousands of college players extra year of eligibility

Social Connect

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Recent Posts

  • Raiders’ Kubiak: Mendoza will improve through reps

  • NYC woman who went missing in Las Vegas found dead, family says

  • Tesla, Waymo and Aviari cleared to deploy 7,000 Las Vegas robotaxis

  • Feds finalize long-awaited Colorado River plan with reservoirs on life support

  • Appeals court halts ruling allowing thousands of college players extra year of eligibility

Categories

  • Housing (50)
  • Las Vegas Buyers Guide (48)
  • Loan Resources (102)
  • Mortage (48)
  • Mortgage Resources (44)

Mortgage Payments

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

@2019 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Evolve

Las Vegas Real Estate Review
  • News
  • Housing
  • Loan Resources
  • Mortgage Resources