
Las Vegas Raiders coach Klint Kubiak didn’t waste a word via videoconference detailing how rookie quarterback Fernando Mendoza can best improve.
“Reps,” he said Friday — plainly and simply.
Kubiak’s review of Mendoza’s preseason showing Thursday in a 22-20 road win over the Houston Texans left him pleased with his third-down effort, but also affirmed “that there are things that we must get corrected that will be addressed ASAP.”
Mendoza threw a first-quarter pick-6 amid 8-of-15 passing for 86 yards with downfield dots to wideouts Jalen Nailor and Malik Benson, who also had a costly third-down drop.
Postgame Thursday, Kubiak declined to announce a Week 1 starter behind center — though he said last week after a 27-14 home loss to the Arizona Cardinals that it’s Kirk Cousins’ “job to lose” — a stance he doubled down on Friday because “it never benefits a player to know they have a spot secured and if there’s always a little bit of uneasiness about that, that benefits the whole team.”
Here are other takeaways from Kubiak’s videoconference:
Mendoza can develop from sideline
If Cousins is on track to start Week 1, he’d field the lion’s share of the reps Mendoza needs to best burnish the obvious upside he’s continued to flash. That said, Kubiak expressed belief Mendoza can develop from the bench.
He also highlighted his coaching staff’s experience developing players who aren’t yet starters, something it would again put to practice should Mendoza start the season on the sideline.
“It’s staying early. Leaving late. Using some technological tools at your disposal,” Kubiak said. “But it’s really a lot of (quarterbacks) Coach (Mike) Sullivan spending some early mornings and long nights with Fernando. …
“And then you can build in young-guy reps into your practices. There’s things you can do. It’s never as good as getting all the reps in practice, but you do the best you can with what you’ve got.”
Keep 3 QBs?
Cousins and Mendoza are locks for the roster but Aidan O’Connell is forcing Las Vegas to consider rostering three quarterbacks on their 53-man outfit. O’Connell played the second half Thursday, completing 15 of 24 passes for 166 yards while leading the Raiders to 19 unanswered points.
A fourth-round draftee in 2023, O’Connell has 17 NFL starts — impressing his new coaching staff with his preparation and professionalism.
“Those guys are going to make us make hard decisions, which is a great thing,” Kubiak said. “We’re talking through (keeping three quarterbacks). It’s part of the discussion.”
WRs take step back
Raiders wideouts struggled to produce at the joint practice Tuesday and again Thursday night with Benson’s drop underscoring their struggles. Another third-down throw to Benson was caught momentarily but broken up, ending Mendoza’s fifth and final drive.
Wide receiver Jalen Nailor was the only first-teamer to play offense Thursday after Kubiak said Tuesday the practice tape would inform who would play in the game.
“I learned a lot (about our receivers) and that we have to get better very fast,” Kubiak said. “We took a step backwards. Doesn’t mean we can’t go forward but right now, we are trying to help someone who is accountable and can help us on Sunday. Still looking.”
Crosby won’t play Thursday
Defensive end Maxx Crosby watched again from the sideline Thursday night and won’t play in next week’s preseason finale against the San Francisco 49ers at Allegiant Stadium. Kubiak said that though he thinks “all players” need preseason reps, “I’m not going to be giving him any.”
A spectator in the preseason opener, Crosby is seven-plus months removed from a left meniscus repair and has very much been a force at training camp.
Contact Sam Gordon at sgordon@reviewjournal.com. Follow @BySamGordon on X.