Las Vegas Real Estate Review
  • News
  • Housing
  • Loan Resources
  • Mortgage Resources
Housing

Trump threatens Oman as it works with Iran on Strait of Hormuz deal

by The Associated Press August 17, 2026
by The Associated Press August 17, 2026
image

President Donald Trump has again threatened Oman as Iran says it is working with its Middle East neighbor on a plan to manage shipping through the Strait of Hormuz. Fully reopening the waterway has been a key U.S. demand.

Meanwhile, the 60-day negotiating period to find a peace deal between the U.S. and Iran was expiring, with no word of an extension and both sides seemingly as far apart as they were at the start.

Here’s a look at the latest developments Monday in the Iran war and the wider Middle East. Full coverage can be found here.

Iran says it is near finalizing deal with Oman

Iran said it has reached an agreement with Oman over a plan for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz, which runs between the countries, and the sides are now working to finalize details for a joint statement.

Iranian Foreign Affairs spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that “an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route.”

He did not elaborate, but details that have previously emerged suggest the deal would reopen the strait with ships entering through a route close to Iran and exiting through a route close to Oman. Ships would transit without paying fees or tolls during an interim period.

The U.S. has sought an acceptable deal on opening the strait before ending its blockade of Iranian ports.

Iran effectively closed the strait — through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s traded oil supplies passed before the war — after Israel and the U.S. attacked the country on Feb. 28.

Baghaei conceded the talks with Oman have gone slowly, “but we had planned, and still plan, to finalize the understanding in the form of a package: the map plus a joint statement.”

Trump says US will bomb Oman if it gets in the way

Trump told Fox News reporter Trey Yingst that the U.S. would bomb Oman if it “gets in the way,” using an expletive for emphasis.

Fox News did not provide audio of the interview.

This is not the first time that Trump has threatened Oman. In May, he told reporters during a Cabinet meeting that “Oman will behave just like everybody else, or we will have to blow them up.”

Trump also said the expiration of the 60-day deadline on talks to end the war was irrelevant and said there was no timeline, Yingst said. Trump said the U.S. has a back channel for talks with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, Yingst added.

Kushner meets with Netanyahu over Gaza road map

Mideast negotiator Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, met Monday with Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the day after he had two-hour talks with Hamas chief Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on disarmament.

Netanyahu last week rejected a 15-point, U.S.-backed road map to move the ceasefire deal forward in Gaza.

Hamas says it has agreed to the road map, which includes disarmament, and the group is urging mediators and the U.S.-created Board of Peace to “compel” Israel to sign on.

But Israel, which under the road map must gradually withdraw from Gaza, says Hamas must fully disarm before any Israeli withdrawal.

Israeli troops occupy about 60% of the strip, and Netanyahu has previously threatened to advance further.

Houthi rebels say they attacked boats in the Red Sea

Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi rebels claimed that they attacked a ship and four military boats Monday in the Red Sea off the Yemeni city of Mokha near the strategic Bab el-Mandab Strait.

The rebels fired a number of ballistic missiles at the vessels, resulting in the capsizing and burning of the boats, Yahya Saree, a military spokesman for the Houthis, said in a statement.

The rebels claimed that the vessels belonged to Saudi Arabia, without providing evidence. There was no immediate comment from Saudi Arabia, and The Associated Press could not independently verify the Houthi claim.

Saree also said the rebels launched a drone attack on government forces in the central province of Marib.

Iraqi officials targeted by drone attacks

Two officials in northern Iraq were targeted in drone attacks that the regional counterterrorism service said were launched from the border with Iran.

One was fired at the office of Masoud Barzani, prime minister of Iraq’s semi-autonomous northern Kurdish region, and the other targeted the home of a top regional intelligence official, the counterterrorism service said.

There were no casualties. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Since the beginning of the U.S.-Iran war, Iran and Iranian-backed Iraqi militant groups have launched regular attacks on U.S. military and diplomatic facilities in Iraq and on bases of exiled Iranian Kurdish dissident groups, but Monday’s direct attack on regional government buildings was unusual.

Barzani on X called the attack “a dangerous escalation and a direct threat to the security and stability of the Kurdistan Region.”

U.S. forces currently stationed in the Kurdish region of Iraq have begun withdrawing ahead of a Sept. 30 deadline agreed upon between Washington and Baghdad to end the U.S. military presence in Iraq.

0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail
The Associated Press

previous post
Partial collapse leaves shopping center red-tagged, unsafe
next post
New Strip casino rewards program lets guests experience dozens of Las Vegas attractions

You may also like

A’s prospect Winkler thriving in ‘fresh start’ with Aviators

August 17, 2026

Nevada Preps: Who’s in the top 10 in the 1st fall sports rankings?

August 17, 2026

Raiders looking to build $158M Allegiant Stadium Hacienda plaza platform

August 17, 2026

Report of human remains investigated at Lake Mead shore

August 17, 2026

Canadian interest in Las Vegas homes falls 25%, outpacing national decline

August 17, 2026

Road to Las Vegas begins: Preseason AP Top 25 predicts playoff matchup

August 17, 2026

‘Renters are in the driver’s seat’: Las Vegas leads the country in rental concessions

August 17, 2026

Pedestrian killed, driver detained in I-15 crash near Las Vegas Strip

August 17, 2026

Gorman WR announces transfer back to Mater Dei ahead of St. John Bosco game

August 17, 2026

Trump reduces US-South Korea drills, citing lack of help on Iran

August 17, 2026

Leave a Comment Cancel Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Mortgage Payments

Recent Posts

  • A’s prospect Winkler thriving in ‘fresh start’ with Aviators
  • Nevada Preps: Who’s in the top 10 in the 1st fall sports rankings?
  • Raiders looking to build $158M Allegiant Stadium Hacienda plaza platform
  • Report of human remains investigated at Lake Mead shore
  • Canadian interest in Las Vegas homes falls 25%, outpacing national decline

Social Connect

Facebook Twitter Instagram

Recent Posts

  • A’s prospect Winkler thriving in ‘fresh start’ with Aviators

  • Nevada Preps: Who’s in the top 10 in the 1st fall sports rankings?

  • Raiders looking to build $158M Allegiant Stadium Hacienda plaza platform

  • Report of human remains investigated at Lake Mead shore

  • Canadian interest in Las Vegas homes falls 25%, outpacing national decline

Categories

  • Housing (48)
  • Las Vegas Buyers Guide (48)
  • Loan Resources (102)
  • Mortage (48)
  • Mortgage Resources (45)

Mortgage Payments

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

@2019 - All Right Reserved. Designed and Developed by Evolve

Las Vegas Real Estate Review
  • News
  • Housing
  • Loan Resources
  • Mortgage Resources