
Police officers have difficult jobs. They must stay steady and calm in the face of circumstances that would stagger lesser men and women. Mistakes are inevitable, but accountability remains vital if the public is to maintain confidence in the system.
Last month, the Metropolitan Police Department reached a settlement with a woman who was arrested in June 2025 while filming anti-ICE protests in downtown Las Vegas. Such activity is protected by the First Amendment.
Footage of the incident showed Cesar Corrales taunting Metro officers as they walked past him during the demonstration. Mr. Corrales, who apparently had a history of mouthing off to the police, piped up with “Honor your oath, bitch,” as the police passed. Metro Sgt. Frederick Oliveri proceeded to arrest Mr. Corrales, along with Karlin Martinez, who was standing near him and shooting video.
A subsequent lawsuit argued that Ms. Martinez had been “violently tackled” and arrested simply for exercising her constitutional rights. A countering police report claimed the two were arrested for ignoring a dispersal order and for provoking a breach of peace.
The actual offense seems like a textbook case of “contempt of cop.”
Rather than contest the allegations, the Metro Fiscal Affairs Commission on July 30 agreed to pay Ms. Martinez $350,000 to make it all go away. The case became an embarrassment for the department after the video was viewed more than 3.4 million times on social media.
“Metro doesn’t pay that kind of money when they are blameless,” said Stephen Stubbs, an attorney for Ms. Martinez. “The hope with all of these cases is that Metro will look at what happens, look at people’s constitutional rights and make changes so that they can lawfully enforce the laws while still supporting and protecting protesters’ constitutional rights.”
That’s important, of course. But transparency also demands that the taxpayers — who are out a significant amount of money because of this incident — be assured Metro has taken appropriate action against the officers involved. Yet the department has instead refused to offer key details about its response.
The Review-Journal’s Noble Brigham reported last week that Sheriff Kevin McMahill has previously acknowledged that internal affairs investigations were “sustained” against officers stemming from the ICE protests. He also said that Sgt. Oliveri “was under investigation,” but offered little more about the outcome.
Hiding behind “trust us” isn’t good enough. If a private employee made a preventable mistake that cost his company $350,000, he or she would be fortunate to still have a job. The taxpayers deserve a more thorough and open accounting of what consequences — if any — the officers involved in this unfortunate encounter have faced.