
Las Vegas native Kyle Busch was down on the ground and coughing up blood the evening prior to his death, according to a newly released 911 call.
The call, provided by the Cabarrus County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina on Friday morning, relays the details of a distressing medical emergency involving the NASCAR legend at the General Motors Charlotte Technical Center in Concord, North Carolina.
An unidentified person called 911 to request an ambulance for Busch.
“I’ve got an individual that’s uh shortness of breath, very hot, thinks he is going to pass out, and is, uh, is producing a little bit of blood,” the caller said. “Coughing up some blood.”
The dispatcher asked how old the person was and whether the individual was awake.
“He is awake,” the caller said. “He’s awake. He’s on the bathroom floor right now.”
The caller asked first responders to turn sirens off as they arrive to the facility.
“I’ll be out here waiting on them,” the caller said. “I’ll flag em down.”
Busch was a two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion and NASCAR’s all-time winningest driver across the sport’s three national series. He died Thursday at 41.
Earlier Thursday, the Busch family had announced on Kyle’s personal X account that he had been hospitalized suddenly after suffering a “severe illness,” and he would not race in Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 Cup Series race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
A joint statement from the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing and NASCAR released Thursday afternoon confirmed his death. No cause for the death has been announced.
Contact Glenn Puit at gpuit@reviewjournal.com.