
Las Vegas Raiders coach Klint Kubiak has been very clear that no spot on the roster or depth chart is secure at this point.
“I just don’t think it ever benefits a player to know that they have a spot secured,” he said. “And if there’s always a little bit of uneasiness about that, that benefits the whole team, the player and the team.”
That’s mostly just coach speak, but Kubiak’s message is loud and clear.
Nobody at the NFL level, especially for a team coming off a 3-14 record, should ever take their position for granted.
Specifically, Kubiak was discussing the quarterback position. It’s still very likely Kirk Cousins will be the starter in Week 1 with Fernando Mendoza taking over at some point this season.
Other spots have even more certainty, despite Kubiak’s proclamation.
Tyler Linderbaum is the starting center. Maxx Crosby’s spot is pretty secure on the edge. Eric Stokes is starting at one corner.
Would Kubiak include tight end Brock Bowers in his claim that no position is fully locked in? Probably not.
But there is still uncertainty around both who will make the team and who will be in the starting lineup with just one week left before some decisions have to be made.
The roster cutdown deadline is next Sunday, and the Raiders open the regular season two weeks later.
Here are some questions that must still be answered:
Starting right guard
Jackson Powers-Johnson has taken the majority of first-team reps throughout camp, but Caleb Rogers was earning more and more of those snaps even before Powers-Johnson went down with an injury last week and missed both the joint practice and preseason game in Houston.
The same questions continue to be raised about Powers-Johnson that have been there the first two years of his career.
He misses a lot of time and while he has flashed high-end talent and put together an impressive highlight reel, the consistency just hasn’t been there.
Rogers appears to have made a big jump from his rookie season to his second year.
Wide receiver depth chart
There was always a question about who would emerge as the alpha of the room, though the Raiders hoped to get production from the collective.
It’s possible the group just isn’t enough.
Kubiak expressed a bit of frustration about the receiving corps after the trip to Houston and said he needs more from them.
While Tre Tucker and Jalen Nailor have been locked in as the top two receivers all offseason, the fact Nailor was the only regular starter to play in Thursday’s game had to be viewed as a sign from Kubiak.
Malik Benson has emerged as a bit of a surprise as a rookie, but he had a big drop on Thursday and had another ball knocked away that he could have secured. Dont’e Thornton Jr. has been injured much of camp and Jack Bech was basically invisible on Thursday.
Kubiak appears to just be issuing a challenge for someone or someones to step up.
Second cornerback
Stokes is locked in on one side of the field.
Defensive coordinator Rob Leonard has several options to start opposite him and that’s probably a good thing.
The competition has mostly been between rookie Hezekiah Masses and second-year pro Darien Porter.
While Porter has taken more of the first-team reps, Masses is making a strong case. Both have done more good than bad.
But both may soon have to hold off a charge from Jermod McCoy, an ultra-talented corner who is working his way back from more than 18 months away from football. He had some really good reps on Thursday.
Once McCoy is fully comfortable, he could provide a long-term answer. Porter and Masses will continue to have roles, however. This room is starting to look pretty deep.
Three quarterbacks?
Aidan O’Connell has had a good camp and led a wild rally in Thursday’s game after top pick Fernando Mendoza helped dig a 20-3 deficit.
He’s a steady presence and a solid leader who truly understands the position. The kind of guy you want as your third quarterback.
But do the Raiders have room for him?
Kubiak has sung his praises all throughout the offseason, but stopped short of committing to keeping three quarterbacks on the roster this week.
O’Connell could also be valuable as a trade target for a team desperate to improve at backup quarterback. (Hello, Detroit).
The Raiders probably want him. But at the expense of a young player at another position?
It’s a question they will have to answer.
Interior defensive line
The first question will be how many interior defenders the Raiders keep as they transition to a 3-4 base look.
Then, there is the matter of who makes the cut and finally, how they line up on the depth chart.
The answer to the third part of the equation is probably that they will deploy a heavy rotation and use just about everyone.
As for who stays around, especially if the Raiders only keep five, it’s a more difficult projection.
Tonka Hemingway has absolutely earned a role with a tremendous offseason. Veterans Adam Butler and Thomas Booker IV are solid contributors, along with returning Centennial alum Jonah Laulu. JJ Pegues, Gary Smith III and Brandon Cleveland have all made impressions and Foley Fatukasi was a late camp addition to try to bolster the run defense. They are all battling for reps and roster spots.
Contact Adam Hill at ahill@reviewjournal.com. Follow @AdamHillLVRJ on X.