
Las Vegas police said a 49-year-old man was killed in a crash Saturday that involved a suspected impaired driver who was speeding and who also suffered life-threatening injuries.
The crash happened just after 5:30 a.m. at East Washington Avenue and North Bruce Street, according to a Metropolitan Police Department news release.
Police said Maria Gonzalez-Medina, 21, of Las Vegas, was driving a 2015 Ford Mustang convertible at an “excessive speed” and that she “failed to decrease speed and use due care” while approaching a yellow light. She entered the intersection as the light turned red, crashing the front of her car into the right side of a 1993 Nissan truck, which had been turning left at the yellow light, police said.
The driver of the Nissan, a 49-year-old Las Vegas man, was pronounced dead at the scene. His name hadn’t yet been released Saturday.
Metro said Gonzalez-Medina showed signs of impairment and was later arrested and booked in absentia on charges related to DUI and reckless driving.
A woman who was a passenger in the Mustang driven by Gonzalez-Medina suffered critical injuries, police said. Her age and name were not released.
Both Gonzalez-Medina and the passenger were transported to University Medical Center.
The Nissan driver’s death was the 48th traffic-related fatality in Metro’s jurisdiction this year, police said.
Contact Trevor Squire at tsquire@reviewjournal.com Follow him at @trevordsquire on X.